Day 3 Camp Observations: Howard Looking Like RB2
Eagles training camp continued into Day 3, but Friday’s practice featured some changes from the first two days.
The team decided to rest several veterans over the age of 30, including center Jason Kelce, defensive end Brandon Graham, cornerback Darius Slay, right tackle Lane Johnson, tight end Zach Ertz, defensive end Ryan Kerrigan and defensive tackle Fletcher Cox.
The maintenance day for veterans thrust several younger players into more prominent roles at practice, which only lasted about 70 minutes.
ITB’s Adam Caplan was on hand at the NovaCare Complex and called into give his observations.
Before we get to Caplan’s observations, here was the team’s injury report:
* Wide receiver Jalen Reagor (lower leg) remained limited and only did some work.
* Right guard Brandon Brooks (hamstring), cornerback Shakial Taylor (lower body), and wide receiver Quez Watkins (non-Covid ilness) remained sidelined. Brooks probably would’ve been given off today even if healthy.
* Left guard Isaac Seumalo (hamstring) and defensive back Nate Meadors (hamstring) remain week to week.
* Friday’s session was very light, mostly 7 on 7s, mostly red zone, and might have been “the shortest [training camp] practice in NFL history, in my 21 years.”
* Nick Sirianni was “very vocal” during practice.
* Jordan Howard is “definitely the No. 2 for now” and “Kerryon Johnson didn’t work a lot.”
“Jordan Howard just looks like he’s in shape,” Caplan added. “He looks – dare i say explosive – for him. He looks like he should look. His weight is down, he’s moving better, didn’t look sluggish at all.”
* Undrafted rookie Jack Stoll “looked athletic.”
“Stoll had a nice play in the red zone, down the right seam. He looks like an H-back. He gives them a differnet look as a third tight end. You could maybe use him offset as an H-back.”
* Wide receiver Michael Walker, who made the best catch Wednesday, “is moving around” in formations.
“A little slot,” Caplan noted. “A little outside. John Hightower had a couple of nice plays working with the 1s because of the numbers [at wide receiver.]…[Rookie free agent Jhamon] Ausbon got a lot of reps.”
– Geoff Mosher (@geoffmoshernfl) is co-host of the “Inside the Birds” podcast and staff writer for InsideTheBirds.com.
Listen to the latest “Inside The Birds” podcast from Geoff Mosher and Adam Caplan here:
Or watch on YouTube: