ITB NFL Mock Draft: Birds, 'Boys Cornering Market
Updated: Apr 28
The second annual Inside The Birds NFL Mock Draft has been completed. ITB hosts Geoff Mosher and Adam Caplan, along with InsideTheBirds.com's Andrew DiCecco, have made all 32 picks for the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft. The Eagles and Cowboys each came away with cornerbacks, while division champs Washington took home a quarterback.
1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
DiCecco: "Out of all the quarterbacks in this class he has the least amount of flaws. He’s ready to go, he’s played at a high level, and he gets rid of the football very quickly."
2. New York Jets: Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
Caplan: He’s incredibly gifted, he’s an aggressive thrower and a good enough athlete. [Here’s a chance] for the Jets to finally get it right at quarterback.”
3. San Francisco 49ers (via Miami): Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
Mosher: “If they take [Jones] and Justin Fields is still available at 4, that opens up the door for a lot of different trade scenarios that we cannot sit here and predict.”
4. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
DiCecco: “Kyle Pitts isn’t an ordinary tight end, he can align all around the offense. He can affect all three levels of the field and he’s just a dynamic playmaker. That’s going to completely transform the Atlanta offense.”
5. Cincinnati Bengals: Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU
Mosher: “I have a feeling that Ja’Marr Chase with his old quarterback has a chance to be great, so I'm going to go with the best player available here.”
6. Miami Dolphins (via Eagles): Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
Caplan: “They’ve looked into it and they’re going to do something at right tackle[...] Right now, they have to do it, Sewell is the perfect pick. They lucked out in this mock draft.”
7. Detroit Lions: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
DiCecco: “Tyrell Williams and Brashad Perriman is not a receiving core you want to go into the season with. I certainly wouldn't feel good about it, so that’s why I'm leaning Jaylen Waddle.”
8. Carolina Panthers: Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern
Caplan: “Slater has multi-positional versatility, he’s a great kid, super smart. He’s better than any guard they have the second he’d sign his contract.”
9. Denver Broncos: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio St.
Mosher: “If I am [GM] George Paton, I am running to the podium with Justin Fields’ name on the card[...] What a steal for the Broncos there in my opinion.”
10. Dallas Cowboys: Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
DiCecco: “I think it's going to be hard for them to pass up on Patrick Surtain. I think the consensus is that Surtain is Cornerback No. 1.”
11. New York Giants: Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
Mosher: “I think [GM] David Gettleman is a little old school, blue-blood type. He’s looking at the linebacker situation and defensive line and thinking that’s where the money has to be made. I’m assuming Dave Gettleman is going to take Micah Parsons here.”
12. Philadelphia Eagles (via Dolphins): Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
Caplan: “He’s Philly tough in terms of personality. Good kid, plug-and-play guy Week 1, this is a home-run pick. I’d actually be stunned if he’s there.”
13. Los Angeles Chargers: Alijah Vera-Tucker, OT/G, USC
DiCecco: “They need to protect the quarterback, I’m going to go with Alijah Vera-Tucker. He’s pro-ready, versatile, athletic and he’s more technical [than other offensive lineman].”
14. Minnesota Vikings: Christian Darrisaw, OT, Va Tech
Mosher: “It seems to me the need that meets with the best player available here is probably on the offensive line[...] I really think [Minnesota] has to build up their offensive line here so I’m leaning toward Christian Darrisaw.”
15. New England Patriots: DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
Caplan: “Wide receivers, they haven’t drafted many over the years and the ones they’ve drafted, most have not worked out. I [would] not expect Devonta Smith to be here, I don’t see how you pass him up[...] He’s so explosive.”
16. Arizona Cardinals: Greg Newsome, CB, Northwestern
DiCecco: “Linebacker is enticing but they got Isaiah Simmons last year so I’m leaning Greg Newsome, the Northwestern corner. Their corners are in dire straits.”
17. Las Vegas Raiders: Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma St.
Mosher: “I’m prone to want to think Teven Jenkins here. To me it's a little outside the box but [the Raiders] are outside-the-box thinkers, they do things unconventionally.”
18. Miami Dolphins: Jayson Oweh, DE, Penn St.
Caplan: “We know how Greg Cosell feels about him. He’s only played since 11th grade but his tape as Greg said, you just don’t find guys this twitchy and this bendy.”
19. Washington Football Team: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota St.
Mosher: “Some people will think that it's amazing that Trey Lance was able to fall this low. So that is pretty good for them, they get to develop a guy.”
20. Chicago Bears: Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida
Caplan: “He didn’t run a lot of NFL type routes [at Florida]. A lot of shallow crosses, a lot of short area passes. People like the kid, they think he has a ton of upside, he’s definitely going in the first round. This would help them and this is around the area I think he would go.”
21. Indianapolis Colts: Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan
Mosher: “You know [GM] Chris Ballard is going to take the best available player here and that’s got to be Kwity Paye.”
22. Tennessee Titans: Jaelen Phillips, DE, Titans
DiCecco: “I think had it not been for [the injuries] he would have gone much higher just based on ability.”
23. New York Jets: Azeez Ojulari, DE, Georgia
Caplan: “They have just not gotten it right with their pass rushers [over the years] so to me, give me anyone who can rush the passer.
24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
Mosher: “[He fits their identity] definitely as a player but it’s rare, if ever, they take a running back in the first round. But it’s a good pick there.”
25. Jacksonville Jaguars: Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU
DiCecco: “I don’t know that [Caleb Farley] can be a second contract guy, the injury history is there. I’m inclined to lean Trevon Moehrig to sure up their safety position.”
26. Cleveland Browns: Terrace Marshall, WR, LSU
Caplan: “After this season for [Odell Beckham Jr.] there is no guaranteed money, he’s got a training camp roster bonus on the first day. I love Marshall here and I like a receiver [for them] anywhere quite frankly.”
27. Baltimore Ravens: Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
Caplan: “Alex Leatherwood will be the pick because it is a need pick. They are also on Alejandro Villenueva, I don’t know if they’ve made him an offer yet but I know they’re interested. Either they sign Villenueva or they draft a tackle here, that’s how I see it.”
28. New Orleans Saints: Jeremiah Owosu-Koramoah, LB, ND
DiCecco: “I just love his fluidity, his sideline-to-sideline speed and his range. I think he fits that fast-flowing defense really well.”
29. Green Bay Packers: Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss
Mosher: “I think the value is there for Elijah Moore. I am not passing on the speed that [the Packers] need.”
30. Buffalo Bills: Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami
Caplan: “For a team that has Super Bowl aspirations, it's a perfect developmental player down the road, that’s why Rosseau is going to be the pick.”
31. Baltimore Ravens (via Chiefs): Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama
DiCecco: “There is going to be one defensive tackle that goes in the first round most likely and he is going to be the one."
32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
Mosher: “I’m taking Travis Etienne out of Clemson and I am looking forward to having an explosive offense yet again."
– Justin Morganstein (@jmotweets_) is a staff contributor to InsideTheBirds.com
Listen to the latest "Inside The Birds" podcast from Geoff Mosher and Adam Caplan here:
Or watch on YouTube: